For moms in Savannah and the Coastal Empire

Recent comments

• im new   5 years 49 weeks ago

Coastal Mommies is a great way to know about whats going on in the community and share funny stories with other moms. Check out a Mommie Playdate/ Meetu group that meets frequently in the Pooler area. Hope to meet you soon!

• Re-usable grocery bags....Nasty Nasty!!!!   5 years 49 weeks ago

Every time I bring home raw food, the bag goes into the laundry. I have enough spare bags to rotate them and allow for that. It's not difficult at all. And I have separate bags for clothing and dry goods. Vinyl bags get scrubbed with cleanser.

• First time fishing with the kids leads to new pets   5 years 50 weeks ago

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about the worms. I'm hoping to celebrate their Freedom Day soon. But they have kept my kids from pestering me about getting a hermit crab or cat or bird or puppy...

• First time fishing with the kids leads to new pets   5 years 50 weeks ago

Ewww... worms!!

What a wonderful mom. I just couldn't do it!

• Sex offender binder receives mixed reviews   5 years 51 weeks ago

Have you seen the binder?

There should be one delivered to every home in the county alone with SMN Bft. Today etc.

The fact that you can go and buy the mugg shot of a DUI arrest but you have to look for a Sex offender BINDER!!!

Put it next to the "Lost Children" at WALMART. Sometimes that's what happened to the kid!

Abuse is about power. A man may not have money but he can force you to do that. He may not physically be able to force himself into you, but he can use a foreign object.

This attempt at Community Responsibilities, as it pertains to Sex Offenders, being fulfilled....I give the county an -F. I can get Gas Buddy as a Black Berry App! Why can't I get the "Sex Offender Blotter" as an App. A single woman with a kid will be less likely to date him if he'd plead guilty to statugatory rape.

Her daughter is 14! We can aim a little higher than this.......

• Sex crimes are embarrassing?   5 years 51 weeks ago

Gas Buddy BlackBerry App

• Potty-Training   5 years 51 weeks ago

Maddie is doing SO much better. She's only had one accident in two days!! And has only used maybe 4 diapers!!! :)

• Rincon MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers)   5 years 51 weeks ago

Is there a weekly or monthly meet? I have been trying to find a M.O.P.S. group that has a regular meeting schedule.

• Gallery: 2011 Father/Son Look-alike Contest (IMG_5274.JPG)   5 years 51 weeks ago

I Love these guys! =)

• Gallery: 2011 Father/Son Look-alike Contest (IMG00044-20110427-1324.jpg)   6 years 3 days ago

This is Micah and his daddy Branden! Not only do they look alike but they act JUST alike and have a lot of similarities and are best friends which is great too see :) they do absloutely everything together and the first thing Micah says when he's gets up in the morning is,"where's dadoo" so cute!

• Playgroup outing,anyone?   6 years 1 week ago

Hi! Just wanted to drop in and say hello..hope all went well with your delivery! Hows your son doing? How are you holding up??

• Why I Still Stand by Science Diet: Because Corn in NOT a Bad Thing…..   6 years 1 week ago

“Hi Dr. Carla, I saw your blog posting about science diet and really appreciated it. It seems that it get's a bad rap. The one complaint that comes up is that Science Diet or Hill's somehow pays veterinarians to market their product. Is that your experience? Thank you!”

Jason

Jason,

I am glad you enjoyed the blog.  Science Diet does get a bad rap at times but that is common for any product that continues to dominate the market. Though I’ve heard the complaint before “that Science Diet or Hill's somehow pays veterinarians to market their product”, this has not been my experience at all.

The only veterinarians that I’m aware of that are paid by Hills to market their product are actually on staff at one of the Hills facilities. As mentioned in my blog, I’m impressed that Hills Science Diet employs veterinarians to research and ensure that their diets truly offer what they claim to offer to our patients. Not many pet food companies do this and I’d challenge anyone to compare the quality of any other diet against a Hills Science Diet, especially as it comes down to actually being healthy for pets. We all know that “organic” and “natural” are wildly popular in the marketing of all foods right now… pet, human or otherwise. But bring me the label of a food that claims to be this and I’ll prove to you that labels are not always what they seem. Even those labeling laws that have successfully been passed to protect our pets and our clients’ best intentions are difficult to enforce within the pet food industry due to lack of governmental support as compared to what the Food and Drug Administration is able to offer for protection of human consumption.

Hills Science Diet also puts much of their profit back into the industry by supporting continuing education at the veterinary hospital level, at the university level, and at the convention level.  Any good business owner knows that education is the key to more sales.  This education is good for the health of our pets as well as good business for the company. I don’t believe anyone can fault a company for that.  We sell the product because it is good for the pet and therefore good for our hospital.

Having said that, all hospitals that sell a diet (any diet) make a profit, as do all pet shops or retail stores that sell diets… or any inventory, pharmaceutical product or service. I won’t apologize for making a profit.  It keeps our staff paid, our hospital modern and up to date, and allows us to purchase medical equipment that extends our patient’s lives. But I will tell you that any profit on a premium diet is minimal. The mark up on food products is very small in comparison to other inventory and yet it takes up a large space in a practice and is time consuming to keep managed.  Many veterinarians have removed themselves from actively selling pet food out of their hospitals and just make recommendations or sell from their online stores.  We have chosen to carry this product for our client’s convenience and because we have so much trust in the reputation of the company. Within the veterinary industry, even hospitals which pay their veterinarians on some sort of production-based fee schedule, typically must exclude sales on premium diets in order allow enough profit to handle the management of the food itself. Yet veterinarians continue to spend time educating their clients about the importance of nutrition proving that their motivation is more about the health of their patient since the sale of any particular food does not benefit them individually on a financial level at all.

I did not receive any payment for this blog or the article as it appeared in the Well Fed Magazine.  I did, however, receive the satisfaction of knowing that I had come to the defense of inaccurate accusations about a product that I see helps our patients every day.

Thank you, Jason, for asking about this. I’m aware that it is yet another misconception about the motivation behind a veterinarian’s recommendation of any particular pet food. But it has been my experience that veterinarians are not in this profession for expectations associated with financial gain. There are far more lucrative fields to enter, especially considering the financial expense of the education required to be a veterinarian. The vets that I know truly love what they do because they see it make a difference in the lives of their patients and the bond a person has with their pet. That’s why we’re here. And it’s why I’m so proud to be included in the company of my colleagues and associates- including those employed by reputable companies like Hills Science Diet.

• Gallery: 2011 Father/Son Look-alike Contest (Chris.jpg)   6 years 1 week ago

Chris & Caedmon Dailey

• Gallery: 2011 Father/Son Look-alike Contest (Tim and boys.jpg)   6 years 1 week ago

I forgot to add the names Daddy is Tim, big brother is Dane and little brother is Daniel

• Effectively communicate your sexual wants, desires to your partner   6 years 1 week ago

Great advice! A relationship is bound to fail without great communication... and it only comes with practice!! Focus on saying things like "I feel..." instead of "you make me feel". It comes off much better and is effective in opening lines of communication... especially with men, who are notoriously bad communicators!!

• Gallery: 2011 Mother/Daughter Look-alike Photo Contest (tati and i.jpg)   6 years 2 weeks ago

You're so cute together.:)

• A Razor and an 8 year old don't mix!   6 years 2 weeks ago

You know when kids begin a conversation by saying "dont get mad" then they have messed up. :) It is hard to not laugh when they do something like what your 8 yr old did. My daughter cut her bangs one time so short it took almost 3 months to get them to where they looked half way decent, she looked so funny but of course I have to remain calm to punish her for playing with scissors but as soon as she left the room and was no longer in ear shot my husband and I just started laughing. :)

• Looking forward to summer?   6 years 3 weeks ago

Laurel,

I do look forward to summer because it cuts the daily struggles in half!  I still have the challenge of getting my boys out of the door on time in the morning, but the afternoons and evenings are more relaxed because of no homework.  Most of the teachers we've had in the past have given some kind of summer booklet to be used as a refresher so the kids won't lose what they've learned the previous year.  If they don't, I'll get a workbook for them myself.   I'll usually have them work in these pages about 30 minutes or so 4-5 days a week.

We usually send the boys to the YMCA daily camp all summer.  They know my boys well and the boys like it well enough.  They will sometimes have specialty camps, like soccer and art, during the summer that we can take advantage of.  We will try to do one week of something different like Oatland Island if possible since my boys are animal lovers.  The Y provides structure and also an avenue for creativity with the crafts they offer.  It's familiar so no one is surprised about behavior and outbursts are minimal.  I used to send them somewhere different almost every week, but this was when they were younger and logistics were easier.  Even though variety is good, I think it's confusing for some ADD kids to go somewhere different too often.

As I've said before, we don't do medication vacations.  I think the consistency is important for my son and our family and no one has to forget to give the pill!  There's no getting adjusted to being off or on medication again.  Besides, since my son is in one place with others all day, it's much like being at school.  The only difference is his focus is not on school work, but on his behavior.

Thanks,

Jenifer

• Gallery: 2011 Mother/Daughter Look-alike Photo Contest (me and mom.jpg)   6 years 4 weeks ago

Do you think we look alike?

• My daughter's big plans for the royal wedding   6 years 4 weeks ago

Well, she did it! Up at 4:00am, relishing every royal moment! My daughter was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed when I stumbled out of bed at 6:50. She even laughed at my bed-head and tired eyes (i am not a morning person!). Unfortunately, she had to go to school before the royal kiss, but we'll catch it online when she gets home.

• Gallery: 2011 Mother/Daughter Look-alike Photo Contest (tati and i.jpg)   6 years 4 weeks ago

this is my answer most of the times when my daughter an i go out...

• Weaning.....I know nothing about it!   6 years 4 weeks ago

As I stated before I didn't breast feed my children so I couldn't help this mom....but you guys made it possible thanks a bunch. If there are any other suggestions keep them coming!

• Weaning.....I know nothing about it!   6 years 4 weeks ago

I just finished weaning my daughter yesterday.
    SHe has been drinking from a cup from 5 or 6 mths, and then I introduced
    dairy from cup at 10 mths. She is now 11.5 mths old, and yesterday was
    her last day ever nursing! We started the dairy, but continued to
    breastfeed a few times a day. I weaned her from night feedings 1st &
    let her cry her way thru wake-ups. Then, we weaned to only right before
    bed feedings. Only feeding of the day for a week or two. Then,
    finally, I told her she was a big girl and it was for babies. She seemed
    to understand! Day two without bosom is going great! Hope this helps!

• Playgroup outing,anyone?   6 years 4 weeks ago

Ah!! Good luck this weekend!! When I was in the end of my last pregnancy I couldnt wait until my daughter was born....she was late and I felt like I was going to burst! Look forward to meeting both of you!!

• Spring Break comes to an end   6 years 4 weeks ago

Isn't it funny how we always need a vacation after a vacation? I guess because we try to cram as much fun as possible into a short period of time. Sounds like you had fun, though!