For moms in Savannah and the Coastal Empire

Recent comments

• Support group   5 years 27 weeks ago

I was sorry to have to stop offering the support group... I had a lot of requests and had close to 30 names on my interest list, but attendance for the meetings was really sporadic and after having several in a row with no takers, it just didn't make sense to put any more time into it.

I know it is hard for Moms, especially working Moms, to get away, even once a month.  And stuff happens, and kids get sick and you forget what day the meeting is...

I have thought about trying a "virtual" group, so that everyone, including me, could participate from home.  We could do an online chat or a conference call kind of thing.  Or... we could just use this forum better to communicate amongst ourselves.  Ask questions of other Moms, share resources, tell us what is working-- or not--- for you and your chil(ren)...

I'm open to ideas to try to continue to support my group members.  Let me hear from you :)

Laurel

• Support group   5 years 27 weeks ago

Laurel did have a monthly support group that started last year in January, but she had to disban it because of lack of attendance.  It was held the 4th Monday of every month in the evening.  There are several online resources for support on Facebook, but nothing locally that gets parents together like we had before.

Good luck!
    Jenifer

• Support group   5 years 27 weeks ago

You should try contacting Laurel Brady. She also has a group here on coastalmommies.com:

• April 14th Morning with Mom   5 years 29 weeks ago

Sounds like a lot of fun. Let us know when you meet again!

• Toy disappointment in a kids' meal   5 years 31 weeks ago

FYI I took the toy back and the woman gave me a new one that works... no big deal. Of course, by now my son's not even playing with it anymore. It did make him happy at the time, though, which I guess is worth something.

• A roll of quarters......a cure for thumb sucking!   5 years 40 weeks ago

I would not use hot sauce...that can seriously burn a childs mouth and it is very punishing for trying to give up such a comforting habit. Try Thumbuddy To Love...great product that children love to help stop thumb sucking. google Thumbuddy To Love www.thumbuddytolove.com or get it on Amazon

• Top Ten Kitchen Toxins   5 years 41 weeks ago

We love using frozen green beans and fresh baby carrots for treats.  They are good for the dogs, the dogs love them, and they are low calorie.

• Top Ten Kitchen Toxins   5 years 41 weeks ago

This is some good information! Are there any "human" foods that would be OK?

• My daughter's creative and crazy ideas   5 years 42 weeks ago

My daughter is certainly entertaining with all her ideas. I hope her creativity will serve her well throughout her life. Sometimes I just need to loosen up a bit, too, and let her run with it (within certain boundaries, of course!).

• My daughter's creative and crazy ideas   5 years 42 weeks ago

She seems very animated and imaginative which i hope you continue to encourage in her because her talent and creativity will only grow sharper with time. Its great to hear about kids who are productively active in school, art, or sports. Too often, I see kids who only engage in video games, watch TV, or surf the web all day instead of other activities which exercise their creativity.  And yes, i agree you should channel her ideas into a more family-approved and supervised method...maybe you could take this approach indirectly by asking her if you can help in some of her projects. That way, you can guide her and offer suggestions that might be more agreeable with the whole family. Thanks for the post!

• Birthday party blues   5 years 42 weeks ago

Thanks for the great ideas! I didn't realize the aquarium does birthday parties.

• Birthday party blues   5 years 42 weeks ago

Frames and Games in Pooler, Skidaway Island aquarium, a movie party, Star Castle-has roller skating, laser tag and arcade.

Those are just a few ideas I have done before with a son with a January birthday.  I don't like having parties at home, either, so I've done pretty much everything there is to do in Savannah!

Good luck!

• Camping with Kids   5 years 43 weeks ago

Thanks so much!!

The Womens Coastal Skills clinic looks awesome!!!  Now to find $189 to do  it!!!

Beaufort is so close too!!

• Camping with Kids   5 years 43 weeks ago

hunting island state park is really nice, we went last in sept and are going again in march for my daughters birthday

• Birthday party blues   5 years 43 weeks ago

Thanks for the ideas! I forgot all about the Family Fun Zone in Pooler. I'll have to check into it.

• Birthday party blues   5 years 43 weeks ago

There are several bounce houses here in Savannah that offer fun active parties ( no animals ) Bouncing Angels, Jumpin Jacks, Monkey Joes and Family Fun Zone in Pooler is awesome!!

Also, JumpBunch www.jumpbunch.com

offers Sports and fitness Birthday parties.  Your child gets to choose the sports activity!!

Just a few ideas.

Good Luck

• Medikidz: Comic book characters help explain disabilities and diseases to children   5 years 44 weeks ago

Hi Jen:

Thanks for aksing about this--

I do think that the MediKidz comic book would be helpful for you and your sons.  I have a copy and will bring it to the next support group meeting and you can take a look or even borrow it if you'd like. There are many other resources for kids out there, many directed at siblings.  Take a look on the CHADD website or even Amazon.  Locally, Chatham Academy at Royce has a resource library and may have something that would be appropriate that you could check out and take home.

You raise a good point about siblings and their understanding-- ot lack thereof-- of brother's or sister's ADD and how that effects them and the family.  I have often thought a sibling support group would be nice! Alternatively maybe we can talk at the next meeting about scheduing a sibling session and we can gear the presentation and discussion to their lelvel and provide an opportunity for them to express their frustrations or ask questions.  It always helps if that kind of informtion comes from someone other than Mom!

Maybe there are other Moms out there who have similar concerns and know about resources for siblings of children with LD or ADD that they'd like to share?

The next Parent Support Group meetws Monday, January 23rd at 6:00 at Royce Learning Center.  See you there:)

Laurel

• My Pastry Princess makes rainbow cupcakes   5 years 44 weeks ago

How great! Maybe Food Network will come up with a show for a kid chef and she could be the star! :)

• Mommy's Day Out   5 years 47 weeks ago

Jumpbunch is an International Sports and Fitness
    program serving children and families throughout the US and India!  JumpBunch of Greater Savannah is currently offering classes in
    Savannah and Richmond Hill at Children's Village, PALS, Early Learning, Maggies
    Morning School, Richmond Hill Montessori, Southern Montessori and many more
    locations.

FREE INTRODUCTORY
    CLASS Monday January 9 AT 9:30 am

JumpBunch is offering a 10
    week session beginning on January 16– March 12

The class offered will be Monday morning at 9:30 am located
    at New Life Church at 16252 Hwy 144 E
    in Richmond Hill, GA.

The cost for the 10 weeks is only $85 (we do offer a
    military discount of 10$ off)

Each week we offer a cardio workout, muscle resistance training
    and we introduce a new sport activity in a fun, hands-on, non-competitive
    environment.  At this stage we are building confidence and coordination.

Some of the fun sports we offer are: Lacrosse, Hockey, Football, Soccer, Bowling, Kickball,
    Cheerleading and parachute games and best of all equipment
    for each class will be available for each child. No equipment to buy!!

We offer a Mommy and Me class, Toddler and Preschool
    curriculum.

www.jumpbunch.com   Enroll Online Now!!

And check us out on Facebook:  Jumpbunch of Greater Savannah

If you have any additional questions please call Coach Jenny
    at

912-445-0312

• Gallery: Scared of Santa Photo Contest (Christmas 2010.jpg)   5 years 50 weeks ago

That's my girl.. she knows her manners :)  And totally trusts her Gamma June!

• Not All Insurance is Created Equal   5 years 50 weeks ago

To abarnes,

Please give us feedback on what you think about TruPanion, whether it is good or bad. I really think that you'll be pleased. I know that you'll be relieved if you ever need it. But it's one of those things.... if you never really need it then the value is having the peace of mind.

• Not All Insurance is Created Equal   5 years 50 weeks ago

This information is right on time. I really started to think about medical expenses for our pet this weekend. We got a call from you all saying our puppy wasn't feeling well. He's OK but what if he really gets sick. I don't know that we could afford to pay medical expenses for him. And my daughter would be heartbroken. I'm going to look into Trupanion.

• The Zoe Foundation Winter Gala   6 years 4 days ago

We would love to be added.  Thank you so much!

• The Zoe Foundation Winter Gala   6 years 4 days ago

Is it OK if we add it to the Spotted event list just in case we have a photographer who can come take pictures for savannahnow.com and coastalmommies?

• The Zoe Foundation Winter Gala   6 years 4 days ago

It is December 9 from 7:00pm - 10:00pm.  We would love for you to come!