For moms in Savannah and the Coastal Empire

Recent comments

• Cloth Diapering--anyone interested?   5 years 11 weeks ago

Hi!  Im interested :)  Im a first time mom, expecting in September...and am planning on going the cloth diapering route.  How can I get more info on the class?

• Cloth Diapering--anyone interested?   5 years 11 weeks ago

Hi, Natalie,

What dates and times are you looking at? And what general area do you live in?

• Karing 4 Kidz!   5 years 11 weeks ago

I'm sure they are moms - especially in the Richmond Hill area that are happy to hear that you're available for sitting. Thanks for sharing!

• Cloth Diapers   5 years 11 weeks ago

Hi there!

My name is Natalie, my husband Brett and I are pregnant with our first! We were going to see if anyone is interested in attending a cloth diapering class at our home. It's free and taught by a local online based company in Savannah called "Bottoms Up". This would be a great way to meet other expectant couples or current parents! Never though about cloth diapering before? Neither had I until it was brought up to me and I did the research! Check it out!

• Attention Mothers of Rising Juniors! The new SAT/ACT Diagnostic is offered in Savannah!   5 years 13 weeks ago

You know, I always wondered why there were two different tests and what the actual differences were. Thanks for the information.

• What's on Your Summer Bucket List?   5 years 15 weeks ago

Thanks :) I find a lot of ideas on pinterest and then put my own spin on them! I am all about easy, cheap crafts!

• What's on Your Summer Bucket List?   5 years 15 weeks ago

I totally agree. She is so creative!

• What's on Your Summer Bucket List?   5 years 15 weeks ago

Love your idea. Thank you for sharing.

• Catching the tears from a hard goodbye   5 years 15 weeks ago

Thanks. I do what I can and just wait it out, I guess. She's so sad. :(

• Catching the tears from a hard goodbye   5 years 15 weeks ago

Oh my, I'm so sorry for her. Sounds like you handled it the right way though.

• Time To Start Planning For Father's Day   5 years 15 weeks ago

It is truely difficult to buy something for the man who has everything. For my brother's 50th birthday I got him 50 packs of gum. He laughed and thought it was a great idea.  I also find that lottery tickets are fun. Cooking his favorite meal or just spending time together is a great gift that has a priceless gifttag to it. My grandmother always said that she never wanted anything from us, but we all knew better. A card and a small something is a simple way to say "I Love You" and I value you in my life.

• Time To Start Planning For Father's Day   5 years 15 weeks ago

I've been trying to figure out what to get my dad. What do you get the man who has everything? I really don't think he'd care if I didn't get anything. But I would feel guilty if I didn't! Past holidays and birthdays tell me that he won't use whatever I get him!!!

• The kids are gone for the summer... what to do???   5 years 16 weeks ago

They are growing up waaaay too fast! I just don't know what I'll do once they grow up and don't need me anymore.

• Summer Camp Fun!   5 years 16 weeks ago

Please contact SBCR at 912-756-4075 or www.SBCRec.org if you have questions or concerns. Questions left here may not be responded to in a timely manner.

• The kids are gone for the summer... what to do???   5 years 16 weeks ago

Awww... they do grow up so quickly! I had a little glimpse of this sort of thing a few weeks ago when my kids spontaneously ended up eating dinner at the neighbor's house and I ended up eating all alone. That's great that you can let them go off and have their adventure. And I bet they are thinking of you more than you know!

• Why I Still Stand by Science Diet: Because Corn in NOT a Bad Thing…..   5 years 16 weeks ago

You are exactly right about the need for "the FDA to have stricter labeling requirements for pet foods anyway..."

That is actually how my article came about. I got increasingly tired of hearing my clients tell me about "the 'boutique'/natural foods like Blue Buffalo" and how they were superior because they didn't use corn... because the evidence proves otherwise. Blue Buffalo simply has a larger budget for false marketing because they aren't concerned with research in the animal industry nor are they concerned expensive AAFCO feeding trials which would have shown that their product had a problem with Vitamin D before it affected hundreds of pets and required yet another pet food recall.

But you are also exactly right about that being "a story for another day."

So, it is true that the article was geared more toward dogs but much of it also applies to cats- including the comments about too much protein being hard on compromised kidneys. There is always a balance. Too much protein may lead to kidney disease; too many carbs may lead to diabetes. The jury is still out as far as what factors contribute to hyperthyroidism in our kitties. Enormous amounts of research have gone into their feline diets. And that research has been going on for years which is likely the largest source of how we know what we do know now about  "feline metabolic/digestive physiology".

The point was simply that the premium diets which are formulated and backed by veterinary research rather than research about marketing campaigns and what will sell well..... those are the diets that have my trust.

No. Those two comments are not contradictory. In fact, they support one another and were the basis of how the company was founded.....which was in response to finding a superior diet for a beloved pet with kidney disease in which too much protein would further tax his kidneys....

"[Science Diet] Is a precisely balanced nutrition that avoids excess....(because)...[Science Diet] realizes that excess protein can’t be stored and forces kidneys to work harder, possibly decreasing longevity".

In response to "what exactly does, 'uses only high quality and proven ingredients' mean?" ... I don't know how I can answer that any more fully than I did in the original article.

It is obvious that you love your dog and want only the best for him/her. I, too, believe in organic products when appropriate but am also aware that simply because a product is marketed as "organic", this is not necessarily the case. Not only laws, but especially enforcement of laws surrounding labeling and marketing a food as organic is sketchy at best on the human side and is practically non-existent when it comes to food for pets. So just be careful. Many of those labels are consistently associated with pet food recalls.

Thank you for your comments. And of course you may have the pdf version of what we use at our office. Lisa Yackel is our Hospital Administrator and she will be able to get that to you. She's aware you may be contacting her and you can reach her from our website www.casevet.com or you may e-mail her directly at lyackel@casevet.com.

Good luck to you! I hope it helps.

Hello!

I registered just so I could post this comment.  I want to preface by saying I am certainly not an expert on feline metabolic/digestive physiology.  While this article is excellent in a perspective geared towards dogs (and please let me know if I have missed anything saying that this article was only meant to apply to dogs--not pets in general), I am not convinced that it pertains well to cat owners.  As I am sure you know and understand, cats are not omnivores like dogs, but rather are obligate carnivores.  I am not sure to what specific extent, but their diets require high protein and less carbohydrates.  In fact, I would say that their bodies are inherently built to handle high amounts of protein and are not built to handle high amounts of carbohydrates; the latter even being detrimental in some cases.

I am concerned that information like this, as well as commercials for the "boutique"/natural foods like Blue Buffalo promoting fiber/carbohydrates as a major component of food may be leading cat owners astray.  These components are excellent for a dog to maintain good nutrition and overall health, but this mentality could be contributing to obesity and diabetes in felines.  I guess what I am looking for here is a response to how this information you present applies specifically to cats and if you would recommend foods where corn/rice/carbohydrates are at/near the top of the ingredients list to a cat owner.  After most of the information I have read is more in favor for a high protein/low carb diet for cats, this article seems to reinforce pet food companys' ability to increase their profits by increasing the amount of "filler" at the cost of the amount of animal-derived proteins.  I say that only with respect to cat foods, however, since it can be beneficial for canines as you have pointed out.  I personally believe the FDA should have stricter labelling requirements for pet foods anyway (by weight/% amounts of each ingredient, calorie data, etc) but that is a story for another day.

Thanks for your article and I hope to hear a response!

I just stumbled across your blog, and I couldn't agree more with any of the points you made in your blog. I have this conversation countless times a day. I would like to use your article in our clinic's monthly newsletter, if possible. Of course, I would give credit to you- its just written SO well and really covers all the points I try to go over with clients. Also, I saw you had a PDF version in one of the comments above. Would it be possible to have a copy so I could use it in exam rooms (its hard to get into everything I want to say with every appointment all day long, there just are not enough hours in a day!) I look forward to reading more of your blog posts, this one was awesome!

Hi Dr. Case!

I found this post through Raise a Green Dog on Facebook. Thank you for sharing this information. I only feed my dog organic food, and I am wondering: Aren't these two points contradictory? -- "[Science Diet] realizes that excess protein can’t be stored and forces kidneys to work harder, possibly decreasing longevity" ...and "[Science Diet] Is a precisely balanced nutrition that avoids excess."

Also, what exactly does, "uses only high quality and proven ingredients" mean? Too many cheap meat companies use the terms "high quality" and "fresh" to refer to their hormone ridden, corn fed beef.

-Lindsay

• Hello!   5 years 18 weeks ago

Risen Savior Lutheran Church on Quacco Rd (Pooler Pkwy) is very friendly and family-oriented.

• Hello!   5 years 18 weeks ago

We attend Savannah Christian Church. It's been a great experience. You should check it out.

• Introductions   5 years 18 weeks ago

Sorry...forgot the website:  www.hersheyhearts.org

• Support group   5 years 19 weeks ago

If we could get a virtual group going that would be great dicussion forum is good too. Sharing ideas and experiences would be extremely helpful. I am always trying to find new activities techniques and nutrtional amd educational outlets for Logan. It can be especially harder when his biological mom isnt on our same page and is more concerned with losing and hour or weekend of visitation even if it might be beneficial for hee son. I know a child with adhd needs routine and consistency heck all kids do but more so with ld children. Unfortunately this also leads to a dead end when he is out of our custody. It becomes.extremely difficult to get logan back into tje swing of things and i.feel like I am just negative to him or maybe that is all he.sees whend these times occur. Any ideas are absolutely welcome