For moms in Savannah and the Coastal Empire

blog

Caps in pocket pose danger

Caps in pocket pose danger

by Vietmom on Mon, 04/01/2013 - 10:55am
Cap-burned pants
This type of cap was in his pocket

My 8-year-old son and I spent Easter afternoon in the ER after he burned his leg with caps from a toy cap gun. He's OK but I thought I'd share his story as a cautionary tale.

Ty had the caps in his pocket. They're the type that come in a plastic ring, each cap about the size of a peppercorn. He jumped from the couch to the floor and one cap fired, setting them all off in the  thigh pocket of his cargo pants. It burned a hole through the lining of the pants, melted all the plastic together and burned his thigh and knee cap. 

The whole thing took about 20 seconds. By the time he made it to the kitchen, screaming and crying, and we poured cool water over the area, the damage had been done.

At the ER they confirmed he had second degree burns. It will just require time and antibiotic cream to heal.

Prior to this incident I was all focused on my son not pointing the cap gun at anyone, not using it indoors, etc. I had no idea the caps could explode in his pocket. Looking closely at the package afterward (as I took it out to the garbage) I noticed it did have a warning "Do not put caps in pockets." The warning was obscured by the plastic frame around the caps, though.  

When I was a kid caps came in a paper roll. My brothers and I would buy them occasionally for the joy of smashing them with a hammer and hearing them pop. The wilder neighborhood kids would smash a whole roll at once. The caps Ty had, since they were encased in plastic, seemed safer. Obviously, they're not.

 

No votes yet