Can You Afford The Holidays?
The countdown to Black Friday has already began. This Sunday we will be checking out the upcoming sales. The question is can you afford those holiday purchases? Be honest!!! Most of us can't, so what are our choices? I am going to give you some ideas on ways to save. I am also going to follow up with several blogs on how to be financially responsible throughout the year.
So lets get started......
First, make a list of what you would "like" to get your loved ones. Try sticking to one or two items. This year our kids are getting one big item and several little things.
2. Access your budget to see what you can spend on Christmas. It is always best to pay cash. If you put it on a credit card you are going to end up paying more because of the interest. This is where stores that offer layaway are a good idea too.
3. Think of gift ideas that can be made or an "act of service" that you can do for someone.
4. Comparison shop. Look at printed ads and on-line ads to see where to get the best deal.
5. Shop local. Your local gift shops are more likely to have unique and more personalized gifts.
6. When shopping stick to the list you made, you are going to be tempted to buy things you don't need at the store.
7. Shop on Cyber Thursday. Many companies offer super deals on high priced items and FREE SHIPPING!!!!
8. Shop on Craig's list and at local thrift stores. You are bound to find a hidden treasure in a new or used condition.
I hope that these ideas help you not see red on Black Friday. It truely the thought that counts, not how big or how much you buy someone.